Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beware of the Computer Tech.

Last night on the news they featured a segment on Computer Techs that rip you off.  I innocently watched thinking that I had done a great job calling the Geek Squad.  I had not been ripped off.  Well to my surprise they started talking about Bestbuy (which is how I got in touch with the Geek Squad).  Apparently the Bestbuy that they had do work on their computer did a terrible job.  They invented problems and could not fix it.  They wanted a lot of money to repair it.  The irony was that the undercover team had only loosed a wire to see if they would catch what the problem was.  They didn't and in fact when they got their computer back it no longer worked.  

Now I don't think that this is the case with every Bestbuy.  The one at Chandler Mall was very helpful and they had warranty do the work for free on Randy's computer.  The Member of the Geek squad that came and helped me was very straight forward and I thought he did a good job.  I realize that there will always be someone in all walks of life that doesn't play the game fair.  Those people make it bad for everyone else.

What I learned from the segment and my experience with computer repair is that you need to do your homework and know what to expect.  Ask questions, there is no dumb question.  Read your user manuals and use the help button on your computers.  Many times you can do a lot more than you think.  There are many customer service call lines that will walk you through trouble shooting over the phone for free.  This can be helpful so that you are more knowledgeable when you do go into the repair store.  

In the future if you have computer problems do some research first.  Ask people you know, maybe they know someone that does a great job.  Good luck.  

1 comment:

Kirsten Krason said...

I watched that and thought of you the whole time. I'm glad you were not ripped off. I would believe anything a computer tech told me because I have NO idea what is going on with my computer. It's scary.